Gliding over the finish line at the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games saw Steven’s name etched into the history books. Skating in the 1000m final and in fifth place, the unthinkable happened. Race favourite Apolo Anton Ohno from the United States and the other three skaters ahead of Steven, fell in a tangle of skates and arms and legs on the ice. Leaving the path clear for Steven, he glided across the finish line in first place and became the first ever Australian to win a Winter Olympic Gold Medal! For the speed skater with the eye-catching spiky bleached blonde hair and charismatic grin, it was a fitting end to his athletic career. In an interview after winning his gold medal, he said:
“Obviously I wasn’t the fastest skater. I don’t think I’ll take the medal as the minute and a half of the race I actually won. I’ll take it as the last 12 years of hard slog I put in”
Steven is one of the world’s most colourful Olympic champions. He has an impressive career as an Olympic athlete that has been driven by determination, sacrifice and most importantly a will to succeed. With the same passion as he has shown on the ice, Steven has continued his success as a motivational speaker / Master of Ceremonies / Entertainer / After dinner speaker to corporate clients, sporting clubs, schools and charity organisations. Steven is a popular keynote speaker. His warm friendly nature, down to earth manner and use of humour is sure to help ‘break the ice’.
His story is of the true Aussie battler who overcomes all kinds of adversity to achieve the ultimate goal and his achievements in speed skating include:
• Four time Olympian athlete (1992, 1994, 1998 & 2002)
• Australia’s 1ST Winter Olympic medalist (1994 Bronze Medal 5000 metre relay)
• Australia’s 1ST Winter Olympic Gold medalist (2002 Winter Olympics)
• 3 time world championship medalist (Gold-1991, Bronze-1993, Silver 1994)
As well as being entertained and inspired your audience will be left with a lasting impression that much of the prize is in the journey and that success takes Passion, Persistence and Teamwork.
• Sport strategies, business success
• Values and principles – sustaining a culture of success
• Universal lessons of sport – striving towards excellence
• Adversity fuels the pursuit
• Believing in the preparation
• Defining success and valuing the process
• Leading in excellence
• Inspiration and self motivation
• His presentation entitled ‘Last Man Standing’ includes:
Audience participation & competition (winner gets signed copy of Steve’s book)
Great stories and an inspirational poem
His father’s influence (instilling a work ethic and lessons learned)
Business success through his speed skate making company
A 3-part DVD inc.: 1, intro 2, blood spilt on the ice and 3, reliving that Olympic final through his eyes.
• Master of Ceremonies
Steven’s presentation can be tailored to the theme, budget, audience and objective of any event.